An article at JD Supra recommends if an organization’s management has not performed a trademark(s) audit for a while, it should make it a priority in 2013, as trademark audits identify trouble-laden gaps in registration coverage. Here are problem areas a trademark attorney will look for:
- Ownership of trademarks not properly recorded;
- Registrations of important marks that are lacking or not current;
- Registrations covering fewer than all goods/services;
- Registrations covering fewer than all countries where the trademark is needed;
- Registrations containing unnecessary disclaimers;
- Registrations on the Supplemental Register; and
- Section 15 (incontestability) declarations not filed.