IP Value Wire has exposed and bemoaned the oft times insurmountable costs associated with protecting intellectual property. Patent owners and analysts alike should be aware of available options. A recent white paper detailed some ways owners can monetize their patents to realize value:
- Selling a patent generates upfront cash and is can be done through a reputable patent broker; however, selling a patent does not maximize the patent’s value (assuming there is value). So called “patent trolls” form one marketplace for selling patents;
- Licensing is a preferred option, though it requires the willingness and wherewithal to litigate in order to have enough leverage to negotiate a valuable license;
- Enforce the patent through litigation on a contingency fee basis;
- Third parties can be engaged to fund enforcement litigation, either in full or partially; and
- Patent assertion insurance exists to pay the legal fees attendant to engaging in litigation against an infringing entity.