Here’s what you’ll see:
- “Is Your Cost of Capital Data Backing You Into a Corner?” (BVR Editor). In a recent court case, the valuation expert tried to use professional judgment but the data being used did not support her opinion. The expert could not adequately explain why she chose not to go where the data led her.
- “10 Things to Know From the NACVA 2019 Conference” (BVR Editor). The importance of storytelling, a re-examination of the terminal value, the dangers of technology, cost of capital woes, online marketing tools, and more highlighted the 2019 Annual Consultants’ Conference, presented by the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts (NACVA).
- “Possible Change to Goodwill Model Generates Buzz at ASA Fair Value Conference” (BVR Editor). Unless there’s strong opposition, it appears likely that the FASB will ease the rules that currently require public companies to test annually for goodwill impairment, a process that has become so complex that the costs may be outweighing the benefits.
- “Tales From the Trenches: How to Successfully Use Statistics—Without Being a Data Guru” (R. James Alerding). Even though you may not be a whiz at statistics, you can effectively use statistical sampling and regression when the engagement calls for it. Here are some “in the trenches” examples that demonstrate.
- “Determining Reasonable Compensation Using RCReports Data” (KC Conrad and Marsha Conrad). A user’s perspective on RCReports, a cloud-based software application designed to help calculate accurate and defensible reasonable compensation for closely held business owners.
- “Control Premiums and Deal Flow Analyzed in 2019 Mergerstat Review” (BVR Editor). This is an M&A year in review, highlighting the trends in multiples and sector analysis through the 12,008 transactions of 2018, the sixth most acquisitive year in history. Includes a discussion of the most notable transaction, a twist on a notable cancellation, analysis on the industrial services sector, and the trend in premiums.
The issue also includes:
- An expanded section of “BV News and Trends/Global BV News and Trends.”
- Regular features: “Ask the Experts” and “Tip of the Month.”
- BV data spotlight: “DealStats MVIC/Revenue Trends,” “ktMINE Royalty Rate Data,” “Economic Outlook for the Month,” and “FactSet Mergerstat/BVR Control Premium Study.”
- BVLaw Case Update: The latest court cases that involve business valuation issues.
To stay current on business valuation, check out the September issue of Business Valuation Update.
Please let us know
if you have any comments about this article or enhancements you would like to see.