Over the past few months we’ve added a surprising number of cases involving the valuation of dental practices to BVLibrary
. The courts have considered the value of goodwill, the requirements of qualifying a small dental practice ESOP,
and an appraiser’s credentials and credibility in cases such as:
- In re Marriage of Bruns, 2011 WL 237969 (Iowa App.)(Jan. 20, 2011)(unpublished):
- Divorce court confirms value of dental practice, excluding goodwill, is midway between a broker’s value and a BV expert’s.
- Hollen v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2011-2 (U.S. Tax Ct.)(Jan. 4, 2011):
- Tax Court confirms disqualification of small private practice ESOP for failure to qualify with certain administrative regulations, including appraisal by an "independent" and "qualified" appraiser.
- Rhodes v. Rhodes, 2011 WL 80222 (Miss. App.)(Jan. 11, 2011):
- Appellate court confirms "bright line" rule that all goodwill, whether enterprise or personal, is excluded from the valuation of a dental practice (and any other business) in divorce.
Be prepared to defend your value: Pre-order BVR’s Guide to Valuing Dental Practices by Stanley Pollock (National Business Valuation Group) and other top experts. Scheduled to ship in August, the Guide details the mature, multi-method process of dental practice valuation and the qualitative factors that go into the appraisal.
Please let us know
if you have any comments about this article or enhancements you would like to see.