This is the question a paper released on www.inforjustice.org attempts to answer. Authors Jonathan Band and Jonathan Gerafi examined the ownership of firms in IP-intensive industries and discovered some key facts:
- Four of the top six English-language trade publishers are foreign-owned;
- Four of the five largest science, technical and medical publishers are foreign-owned;
- Two of the three major record labels are foreign-owned, capturing a 59% market share;
- Japanese companies have manufactured 92% of all the game consoles ever sold;
- In 2011 and 2012, seven of the top ten companies receiving US patents were foreign.