The Guide to Canadian Business Valuations, published by Thomson Carswell, was just updated last month. BVR has signed an agreement with the publisher to help promote this three-volume, loose leaf guide for our customers with Canadian or cross-border clients.
Written by Richard Wise, this Guide is intended to:
- Provide practical information that is easy to understand and use - Incorporates a unique “engagement approach” to the valuation process, an accessible, step-by-step system.
- Offers valuable insight into the practices, concepts, and procedures for a variety of valuation engagements.
- Explain each step of the valuation process with “real life” examples - Includes detailed case studies, sample engagement letters, computation worksheets, questionnaires, checklists, and forms.
All BV professionals in this area will find the complete set of easy-to-use practice aids extremely helpful in their day-to-day activities. Nothing else like it exists specifically for the Canadian market.
Table of Contents
• Overview of a Business Valuation Engagement
• Overview of Valuation Terms and Methodology
• Pre-Engagement Procedures
• Data Gathering and Analysis
• Capitalized and Discounted Returns Methods
• Valuation Methods Based on Guideline (Comparative) Company Data
• Underlying Assets, Excess Earnings and Other Methods
• Wrapping up the Engagement
• Valuation Reports
• Income Tax/Capital Gains Valuation
• Valuation Professional Practices
• Canadian Securities Commissions - Valuation Requirements
• Litigation Support
• Valuing Preferred Shares
• Fair Value Under Shareholder Dissent and Oppression Remedies
• Valuation for Divorce Engagements
• Forensic Valuations – Reconstructing Business Income for Valuation Purposes
• Fair Value Determination for Financial Reporting – Business Combinations, Goodwill and Other Intangible Assets
• Valuing Non-Traded Financial Options
• VAL - Practice Aids - Independent Valuation Consultants
• INT - Practice Aids - Internal Accountants/Analysts
• Firm Policies