Skadden Arps wins–or so reports the Mergermarket Group. They’ve also issued a 2010 summary that joins the ranks of very optimistic analyses of the return of the merger and acquisition marketplace.
Highlights of their data include:
- Global M&A up 25% from 2009
- Strongest year for private equity buyouts since 2007
- Cross-border deal flow up 73% from 2009
- Most active year by value for emerging markets M&A
- Average EBITDA multiples highest since 2008
- Drop in mega deals in 2010
- European M&A up 41% by value reaching $645.7bn in 2010, up from $459.4bn in 2009
- US M&A reached $72.9bn in 2010, a 4% increase from the $695.1bn recorded in 2009
- M&A reached $396.6bn in Asia-Pacific in 2010, the highest value on record for the region
BVWire remains a bit skeptical, but let’s hope the purchase price allocation and deal analysis part of the business valuation marketplace continues to improve in 2011!
Please let us know
if you have any comments about this article or enhancements you would like to see.