Here’s what you’ll see:
- Letter to the Editor: IRS S Corp Job Aid Makes Some Assumptions Not Backed Up by Academic Research. An internal IRS document reveals the agency’s most current thinking on the valuation of S corps. Nancy Fannon, CPA, ABV, ASA, MCBA (Meyers, Harrison and Pia LLC), and Keith Sellers, CPA/ABV, CVA, Ph.D. (University of Denver), give their comments on the job aid. Fannon and Sellers are the authors of a new book, Taxes and Value: The Ongoing Research and Analysis Relating to the S Corporation Valuation Puzzle (BVR).
- Book Review: Intriguing Premise: Adjust Cost of Capital for a Supportable PTE Valuation (R. James Alerding, CPA/ABV, ASA). A review of the Fannon and Sellers book, Taxes and Value: The Ongoing Research and Analysis Relating to the S Corporation Valuation Puzzle.
- How to Use the Income Approach on an FLP With No Income (BVR Editor). The valuation of a family limited partnership typically involves the income approach. But what if you have a non-income-producing FLP? How do you use the income approach when there’s no income? Bruce Johnson, ASA (Munroe, Park & Johnson Inc.), gives an example of how to do it.
- Snapshots of the Business Valuation Profession Around the World (BVR Editor). BVU attended the 2015 International Valuation Forum in Atlanta sponsored by the International Association of Consultants, Valuators and Analysts (IACVA). One of the fascinating sessions showcased practitioners from different countries who gave an overview of BV practice and the profession in their land. You’ll be surprised at some of the things they reveal.
- Insights Into Private Company Multiples in the United Kingdom (BVR Editor). The latest information on transaction multiples being paid for U.K. private companies is the focus of a new guide, BVB Insights: Data and Analysis on UK Private Company Multiples, 2015 edition.
- BVU Profiles: When a Law Firm Gets Caught Up in Divorce: An Attorney and an Appraiser Compare Notes (BVR Editor). Sylvia Golden, BVR’s legal editor, interviews business valuator Stuart Rosenberg (Aronson LLC) and attorney Sanford K. (Sandy) Ain (Ain & Bank).
- New Features: Ask the Experts and Tip of the Month. Valuation experts answer puzzling questions and give some practical advice on a wide variety of topics.
To read these articles—as well as digests of the latest court cases—see the June issue of Business Valuation Update (subscription required).
Please let us know
if you have any comments about this article or enhancements you would like to see.