Coverage continues of the BV conference season. We have added a new regular feature for 2016: BV News At-a-Glance, which is a monthly roundup of key developments from the standard setters, regulators, and valuation professional organizations (VPOs), as well as noteworthy new books, research papers, and studies of interest to business valuation experts.
- NY’s Unfair Application of Shareholder-Level Marketability Discounts (Gilbert E. Matthews and Michelle Patterson). In contrast to the other states, New York applies marketability discounts at the shareholder level in fair value determinations, which harms dissenters by transferring value to continuing shareholders.
- Judge Laro Toplines Panel on Hot Issues in Tax Valuation (BVR Editor). A panel session by several of the leading minds on taxation to discuss hot topics in valuation was a highlight of the 2015 AICPA FVS conference in Las Vegas.
- Some Key Takeaways From the AICPA FVS Conference (BVR Editor). Valuation experts hit the jackpot in Las Vegas at the AICPA’s annual event. There were some great sessions that offered practical advice for a wide variety of valuation issues, from cost of capital to economic damages to the valuation of marijuana firms.
- AICPA Conference Covers Healthcare Valuation Challenges and Opportunities (BVR Editor). The big valuation challenges in the industry continue to center on health reform and changes to reimbursement models. Also, the determination of the FMV of physician compensation is a hot-potato issue in the center of recent major court cases.
- Defending the Use of a Monte Carlo Analysis in Court (BVR Editor). A third of valuation experts tell BVR that they don’t use Monte Carlo analysis because they are “concerned about defending this method if challenged by third parties.” Michael Pellegrino (Pellegrino & Associates LLC) shares his experience and advice for those who may come up against a challenge.
- BVU Profile: Newest BVU Editorial Board Member Is a Strong Advocate of Education (BVR Editor). An interview with Harold G. Martin, Jr., who is partner in-charge of valuation and forensic services for Keiter, a CPA and consulting firm in Richmond Virginia.
- Business Valuation Year in Review 2015 (BVR Editor). Services LLP) who started his BV career at American Appraisal in 1969. He went through an incredible ordeal with the IRS that can happen to anyone today.
- 10 Best Valuation Cases for 2015 (BVR Editor). Our pick for the top 10 valuation-related court cases from last year.
- Regular Features: BV News At-a-Glance—key developments from the standard setters, regulators, and VPOs, plus noteworthy new books, research papers, and studies of interest. Ask the Experts and Tip of the Month—valuation experts answer puzzling questions and give some practical advice on a wide variety of topics.
To read these articles—as well as digests of the latest court cases—see the January issue of Business Valuation Update (subscription required).
Please let us know if you have any comments about this article or enhancements you would like to see.