Don’t miss a new regular feature for 2016: BV News At-a-Glance, which gives you a quick summary of what’s going on in the BV world. It’s a monthly roundup of key developments from the standard setters, regulators, and valuation professional organizations (VPOs), as well as noteworthy new books, research papers, and studies of interest to business valuation experts. Plus, you’ll see the following articles:
- Simplified MUM for Determining Personal Goodwill (Thomas Gillmore). The author uses a streamlined version of the multiattribute utility model (MUM) that has been accepted in court and helps to reduce the exposure to severe cross-examination.
- Valuation Multiples for Accounting Firms Per Pratt’s Stats (Adam Manson). M&A activity for accounting firms is expected to continue at a strong pace. This article examines recent transaction data for sales of accounting firms to help valuation analysts assist their CPA firm clients that are in the market as a buyer or seller.
- BVU Profile: NACVA Thomas R. Porter Award Winner Offers Advice and Insights to Valuation Experts (BVR Editor). An interview with P. Dermot O’Neill, who has over 40 years of experience with a diverse background and practice.
- Pitfalls of Valuing OTC Derivatives in the Oil and Gas Industry (BVR Editor). Ernest De Lachica of BDO Consulting explains why valuing an OTC derivative is more complicated than you might think.
- When to Consult a Compensation Expert During a Valuation (BVR Editor). Mark Higgins, of Higgins, Marcus & Lovett, lays out the thought process he uses in deciding when to call in a specialized consultant when compensation issues are part of a valuation engagement.
- Regular Features: BV News At-a-Glance, Ask the Experts, and Tip of the Month.
- Court Case Digests: Analysis of the latest court cases that involve business valuation issues.
To read these articles and the case digests, see the February issue of Business Valuation Update (subscription required).
Please let us know
if you have any comments about this article or enhancements you would like to see.