Here’s what you’ll see:
- “Adjustment Mapping and the Public-vs.-Private Company Discount Debate” (Mike Smith, ASA, CFA, CVA). A follow-up to a previous article that urges the development of a common language and framework to clearly explain the reasons for discounts.
- “Wrestling Match Over Valuation of Hulk Hogan Sex Tape” (BVR Editor). The valuation expert who testified in the Hulk Hogan sex tape case explains how he fended off a Daubert challenge over his methodology in estimating damages from Gawker’s unauthorized posting of the tape. He also reveals details of the methodology.
- “Economic Damages Experts Offer Top Advice at NACVA Confab” (BVR Editor). Four sessions were devoted to this growing area of practice at the recent annual conference of the National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts in San Diego.
- “How to Avoid Harsh HIPAA Penalties When Doing Healthcare Valuations” (BVR Editor). Valuation experts can inadvertently run afoul of the expanded requirements for patient data security under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. Mark O. Dietrich, the editor of the BVR/AHLA Guide to Healthcare Industry Finance and Valuation, explains how to avoid this trouble.
- “Changes in Regs and Standards Take Center Stage at ASA Fair Value Event” (BVR Editor). Updates from the FASB, SEC, and PCAOB that impact fair value for financial reporting. Also, details emerged about the new fair value quality initiative (FVQI) that includes a new valuation credential.
- “A Dozen Action Ideas From NACVA’s 25th Anniversary Conference” (BVR Editor). Some valuable tips on management forecasts, engagement letters, the use of statistics, practice development, and more.
The issue also includes:
- Regular features: “BV News At-a-Glance,” “Ask the Experts,” “Tip of the Month.”
- BV data spotlight: Pratt’s Stats MVIC/EBITDA Trends, ktMINE Royalty Rate Data, Economic Outlook for the Month, and Cost of Capital Center.
- BV case law update and analysis: The latest court cases that involve business valuation issues.
To stay current on business valuation, see the August issue of Business Valuation Update.
Please let us know
if you have any comments about this article or enhancements you would like to see.