Here’s what you’ll see:
- “New Damages Guide Examines Crypto Landscape” (BVR Editor). An understanding of the current issues and developments within the cryptocurrency industry, plus a look at some emerging case law, are crucial for damages experts in this area. This is an excerpt from the upcoming 7th edition of The Comprehensive Guide to Economic Damages.
- “Feedback Wanted on New Model for Small Firm Risk” (BVR Editor). A variation of the multiattribute utility model (MUM) used along with Monte Carlo simulation forms the basis of a new model for estimating a company-specific risk premium (CSRP) for small, closely held businesses. Excel templates are available from the model’s developer, David Goodman (Jesson, Oslin & Associates), and feedback is welcome.
- “What Would a Hypothetical Willing Seller Do? A Complicated Case—A Confounding Decision in Idaho” (Peter J. Butler). An inside look by one of the experts in a case that “had it all”: a high-tech startup, a recent historical transaction, the personal goodwill-versus-commercial goodwill debate, a covenant not to compete, a lot of money at stake, and the proverbial “battle of the experts.”
- “Adjusting the P&L for a Cannabis Dispensary Valuation” (BVR Editor). A sample valuation report for a cannabis firm reveals an interesting technique to get inside, and otherwise unavailable, information to help adjust the income statement.
- “A Look Back: Including ESG in Valuation Models” (BVR Editor). Quantifying the impact of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors and measuring their effects is not a new phenomenon. Thanks to the BVResearch Pro platform, here are two ways experts have done this before.
- “New Country Risk Data Update Reminds Valuers of Factors to Consider” (BVR Editor). A data update from Aswath Damodaran (New York University Stern School of Business) helps valuation experts explain how they considered each of the risk factors in assessing value for business assets located outside of the U.S.
The issue also includes:
- A full section of “BV News and Trends/Global BV News and Trends”;
- Regular features: “Ask the Experts” and “Tip of the Month”;
- BV data spotlight: “DealStats MVIC/EBITDA Trends,” “ktMINE Royalty Rate Data,” “Economic Outlook for the Month,” and the “Cost of Capital Center”; and
- BVLaw Case Update: The latest court cases that involve business valuation issues with one case featured in a detailed analysis.
To stay current on business valuation, check out the March 2023 issue of Business Valuation Update.
Please let us know if you have any comments about this article or enhancements you would like to see.