Here’s what you’ll see:
- “Adult Nightclubs: Company-Specific Risk at the Extreme” (BVR Editor). David Shindel (ShindelRock) and Rod Burkert (Burkert Valuation Advisors) pull back the curtains of adult clubs to reveal their operating characteristics, special risks, and valuation nuances that push the limits of company-specific risk.
- “Latest Update on Proposal to Upend Goodwill Accounting” (BVR Editor). Goodwill remains a very important valuation topic globally this year, and Business Valuation Update continues to cover the responses to initial efforts in the consideration of whether to upend the current goodwill impairment model and revert back to one of amortization of the world’s goodwill assets.
- “Expanded 2020 Edition of Mergerstat Review Builds on Prior Enhancements” (BVR Editor). Amid the rapid pace of mergers and acquisitions, important changes have been made to the 2020 edition of Mergerstat Review, including the return of the Industry Analysis chapter and new tables of global transaction rankings.
- “Market Volatility and Its Impact on the Valuation Advisors Pre-IPO Database” (BVR Editor). The recent stock market volatility has ripple effects on pre-IPO studies, which are used to estimate a discount for lack of marketability (DLOM).
- “Book Review: Best Practices: Thought Leadership in Valuation, Damages, and Transfer Price Analysis” (Roberto H. Castro, Central Washington Appraisal, Economics & Forensics LLC and Gravis Law PLLC). Review of a new book by Robert F. Reilly and Robert P. Schweihs of Willamette Management Associates.
- “Accounting Issues to Consider When Valuing Construction Firms” (Pasquale Rafanelli, Empire Valuation Consultants). Commercial and residential construction contractors use special methods of accounting that, if misunderstood by valuation analysts, can significantly impact a conclusion of value. This is a discussion of the main accounting issues for these firms.
The issue also includes:
- An expanded section of “BV News and Trends/Global BV News and Trends.”
- Regular features: “Ask the Experts” and “Tip of the Month.”
- BV data spotlight: “DealStats MVIC/EBITDA Trends,” “ktMINE Royalty Rate Data,” “Economic Outlook for the Month,” and the “Cost of Capital Center.”
- BVLaw Case Update: The latest court cases that involve business valuation issues.
To stay current on business valuation, check out the April 2020 issue of Business Valuation Update.
Please let us know
if you have any comments about this article or enhancements you would like to see.