BVWire attended this year’s two-day Business Valuation, Fraud & Litigation Services (BVFLS) Virtual Conference sponsored by the Virginia Society of CPAs (VSCPA), now in its 21st year. Conference chair Harold Martin (Keiter) greeted the online audience with a quote from the Grateful Dead that it’s been a “long, strange trip” with what’s been going on this year. Here are a few insights we gleaned from this excellent conference:
- If you are comfortable wearing a target on your back, use a calculation report in court—opposing counsel will take dead aim with a barrage of challenging questions;
- Guideline transactions during COVID-19 need special scrutiny—the target firm may be particularly strong or there are some powerful synergies in the deal;
- Make sure your estimate of the cost of equity is higher than before the pandemic—a by-the-book estimate will give you a lower figure due to today’s low interest rates;
- It’s now is the “golden age” of estate planning, as there almost certainly will be a new tax law after the election—this could be the first time ever that the estate tax exemption goes down;
- When doing a review of a valuation report, never attack the appraiser—attack the report;
- Most attorneys are clueless about business valuation—it’s the expert’s job to educate them;
- Consider using a Kovel arrangement with attorneys when acting as a consulting expert—properly executed, it puts the valuer’s work and communications in the zone of attorney-client privilege;
- There’s not much an attorney can do if his or her expert witness is struggling on the stand—one idea is to call for a break so the witness can regroup; and
- Think about creating a suite of “minimum viable services”—just unbundle all of the tasks you do in a full-blown valuation and market them separately, such as cash-flow forecasting, industry analysis, quality of earnings, and the like.
Full coverage of the conference will be in the November edition of Business Valuation Update.
Please let us know
if you have any comments about this article or enhancements you would like to see.