Healthcare M&A spending is up 171% in 2Q14 over 1Q14

BVWireIssue #142-4
July 30, 2014

Spending on healthcare M&A hit a new record in the second quarter of 2014, according to Health Care M&A News. The combined total for M&A activity in the second quarter reached $135.2 billion, up 171% compared with the first quarter spending total ($49.9 billion). M&A spending is also 152% versus the same period in 2013.

Tech is hot: The vast majority (91%) of combined M&A spending came from transactions on the healthcare technology side, while healthcare services contributed the remainder (9%). Dollar volume for technology exploded by 229% over the first quarter of this year. Dollar volume for services was down 3% compared to the first quarter.

“Now that the health information exchanges are functioning, investors have decided that health care is a good place to be,” says Lisa E. Phillips, editor of Health Care M&A News. “The equity markets are still rewarding the big deal makers, as well. At this point, it looks as if this momentum could carry well into the third quarter.”

Please let us know if you have any comments about this article or enhancements you would like to see.