Correcting for Selection Bias in Reconciling the DCF and Market Methods—There Is No Substitute for Good Professional Judgment
American Society of Appraisers
Business Valuation Review™
Volume 33, Issue 1-2
Jay B. Abrams, ASA, CPA, 1 MBA
What should an appraiser do when the value indication from the market methods are double or triple that of the Discounted Cash Flow (DCF)? In this article, the author presents a method to reverse engineer the implied growth rates of the Guideline Companies and come to a rational, defensible weighting of methods. In the author's first application of this method, he weighted the DCF 90%, splitting the remaining 10% between two market methods.
Copyright American Society of Appraisers
The information contained in this product is based on content obtained by ASA from sources considered to be reliable, but is not guaranteed as to accuracy and does not purport to be complete. BVR and ASA accept no liability for the use of such information which is provided "AS IS" and with no warranties, express or implied.